Our Services

Students We Serve

Student Accessibility Services works with students with documented disabilities. Our staff reviews medical documentation to determine eligibility for academic, housing, facilities, assistance animals, and dining accommodations.

There are many types of disabling conditions that may cause students to request accommodations. Examples of these conditions include:

  • Specific learning disabilities
  • Attention deficit disorders
  • Mental health conditions 
  • Food and other environmental allergies
  • Conditions that impact mobility
  • Conditions that impact vision and hearing loss
  • Other long-term health conditions (i.e. diabetes, POTS, cancer, etc)

We also review documentation for temporary accommodations for medical conditions such as:

  • Broken bones 
  • Surgeries with extended recovery times
  • Concussions

Most short-term illnesses are not accommodated through our office. Students with concerns about missing class due to illness should work directly with their instructors to make up missed work.

Other Resources

The Academic Success Center is an available resource to all Iowa State students. This office provides academic supports through academic coaching, supplemental instruction, tutoring, and writing consultations.

Iowa Vocational Rehabilitation Services (IVRS) assists individuals to prepare for, obtain, retain, and advance in employment. Visit the IVRS website for more information or ask about IVRS when meeting with an Accessibility Coordinator at Student Accessibility Services

Military affiliated students on campus can access a number of supports through the Military Affiliated Student Center (MASC) along with their accommodations through Student Accessibility Services. MASC provides academic supports, events, and other aid through their center. See more information on their website.

Medical parking permits can be obtained through the ISU Parking division office. SAS does not review for or approve applications for medical parking permits on campus.

When you are unsure where to go for help or when the unexpected occurs in your life, the staff in Student Assistance is available to provide support and information about university resources. Go to the Student Assistance website for further information on their services.

Student Counseling Services provides short-term individual and group counseling services to Iowa State students.

If you are in crisis, the following resources are available to you:

  • Call or visit the Iowa State Student Counseling Services Monday – Friday from 8 am – 5 pm
    • 515-294-5056
    • 3rd Floor, Student Services Building
  • Go to the Emergency Room
    • Mary Greeley Medical Center
      1111 Duff Ave.
      Ames, IA 50010
  • Call the Iowa State University Police Department
    • 515-294-4428
  • Call or text the 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline at 988 or chat at 988lifeline.org, or text the Crisis Text Line (text HELLO to 741741)

Thielen Student Health Center provides on campus services for students such as illness and injury care, mental health supports, physical therapy, and more. Check out the Thielen website for more information on their services.