Student Accommodation Grievance Process
- Student accommodation grievances must be filed in writing to the Director of Student Accessibility Services (SAS), at 1076 Student Services Building and/or email@example.com. The written grievance shall include:
- The name and contact information of the student/applicant.
- A detailed description of the situation, and the resolution desired.
- The student/applicant may also identify any relevant documentation, evidence, and/or witnesses.
- The grievance should be submitted to the Director as soon as possible, and in any event within thirty (30) calendar days of the challenged decision/action unless the student/applicant can show good cause for the delay.
- If the Director determines that the grievance can be resolved informally, the Director will try to do so by working with the student, relevant SAS staff and any other necessary individuals (i.e. faculty member).
- The Director shall complete any informal review within seven (7) calendar days. If informal resolution is ineffective or impractical, the Director will refer the matter to the Associate Dean of Students or designee for formal review.
- In matters receiving formal review, the Associate Dean of Students will review the grievance and investigate the matter. The investigation may include, but is not limited to, review of relevant written materials and interviewing, as necessary, the student/applicant, SAS staff and any other necessary individuals (i.e. faculty member or department chair) as determined by the Associate Dean of Students or designee.
- The Associate Dean of Students will complete the formal review and make a decision within seven (7) calendar days of receiving the grievance and will distribute a written decision to the impacted parties.
- Within three (3) calendar days of receipt of the Associate Dean of Student’s decision, any impacted party may appeal the decision to the Dean of Students or designee. Such appeals must be submitted to the Dean in writing to the Office of the Dean of Students at 1010 Student Services Building and/or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Dean will review the relevant written materials and may interview any individual deemed necessary. The Dean may consult with the Senior Vice President of Student Affairs and/or the Senior Vice President and Provost in rendering a decision.
- The Dean will issue a written decision to the affected parties within seven (7) calendar days of receiving the written appeal. The decision of the Dean shall be the final decision of the university.
Please note: All notices, meeting requests, updates, and other communications relating to the university's process will be provided electronically through ISU email accounts, as described in the university's Email, University Communications Policy. It is expected that email will be received and read by the recipient within a reasonable amount of time, as email communications may be time-sensitive.