Applying for Accommodations
Student Accessibility Services (SAS) staff recommend that students contact our office as soon as possible to learn about eligibility and documentation requirements, discuss/ identify likely challenges, and to coordinate reasonable accommodations. The eligibility determination process can take several months-- so don't delay if you anticipate needing accommodations while studying at ISU.
To receive academic, housing, dining, facilities or assistance animal accommodations while studying at ISU, you will work closely with Student Accessibility Services (SAS) staff and other campus partners and departments to ensure that your accommodations are in place and ready when classes begin. To begin this interactive process, please follow the steps below:
- Fill out a Registration Form.
- Please provide relevant documentation.
Documentation may be provided via:
- Uploaded with registration form
- Fax: 515-294-2397
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Mail: 1076 Student Services Building, 2505 Union Drive, Ames, Iowa 50011-2030
- Documentation must meet our guidelines in order for you to become eligible for services. For details please refer to our documentation guidelines.
2. Contact SAS early if you know that you will need specific supports or accommodations outside of the classroom (ie. housing or dining needs).
3. Speak with an Accessibility Coordinator to learn about the accommodations process and to discuss appropriate accommodations.
4. Once you have been determined to be eligible for services, a Notification Letter will be generated for your instructors.
5. After the initial semester, you must request Notification Letters each subsequent semester.
6. Meet with our Accessibility Coordinators at any time to reevaluate your accommodation needs.