COVID-19 Health Implications and Related Student Accommodations  

This page updated on 8-11-21.


Students that may be uneasy about returning to in-person course structure may talk with their academic advisers about class options. Students with documented health conditions that fall under the CDC high-risk category may review the below options and have their documentation reviewed by Student Accessibility Service in order to discuss options and to access accommodations.  SAS staff are not able to fundamentally change the modality of how a class is delivered. Students should speak with their advisor about class and class sections options. 

This webpage is for:  

  • Students who are at high-risk for severe illness if exposed to COVID-19 and; 
  • Students who are not able to wear face coverings due to a medical or mental health condition.

To simplify the process, we have created three categories: 

Category 1:  I AM AT HIGH RISK 

This category refers to students that are at an increased risk for severe illness due to certain underlying medical conditions as defined by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and their condition rises to the level of a disability.

  • Students may consult with their healthcare provider to discuss their health situation as it relates to engaging in course work that is primarily in-person. Students must provide Student Accessibility Services with medical documentation from a qualified provider that includes the following: 

  1. Describe your history with the student including how long you have been working with them.  
  2. Provide a diagnosis in accordance with current professional standards and techniques and why this condition is at high-risk of complications due to COVID-19.  
  3. Does this diagnosis rise to the level of disability?  
  4. How has this disability impaired the student in carrying out major life functions?  
  5. What have been the historical challenges/barriers in the academic setting?  
  6. What do you foresee as being challenges/barriers in the university setting?  
  7. In your opinion, what does the student need in the university setting to address the challenges/barriers you specified? What accommodations would you recommend? (SAS staff are not able to fundamentally change the modality of how a class is delivered. Students should speak with their advisor about class and class sections options) 
  • Once you have consulted with your medical provider and they have determined you need to move forward with seeking accommodations, you have two options:
    • a. Complete the SAS Registration form and submit it, along with your medical documentation to the Student Accessibility Services Office; or
    • b. Consult with your advisor on class change options.  If your adviser cannot assist you in this request, your best option would be to go through the accommodations process outlined above.



This category refers to students who have previously registered with Student Accessibility Services AND are at high risk and/or cannot tolerate wearing face coverings. 

If you already work with Student Accessibility Services to access disability related accommodations, please contact SAS as soon as possible regarding your COVID-19 related concerns by taking the following steps: 

  1. Log into your Accommodate account and submit a Supplemental accommodation. 
    1. Click Accommodation from the left menu. 
    2. Choose Supplemental from the list and then click Add New to create your request. 
  2. Schedule a virtual appointment online through Accommodate, call 515-294-7220, or e-mail  

Frequently Asked Questions 

If I am not comfortable returning to an in-person class, can Student Accessibility Services require faculty to make my class virtual? 

No, SAS staff are not able to fundamentally change the modality of how a class is delivered. Students should speak with their advisor about class and class sections options.

What accommodations can I receive if I am at risk for severe illness? 

Accommodations are determined based on your documentation, individual needs, and other factors. 

As a registered Student Accessibility Services student, what if I need my instructor to wear a clear mask? 

Mask use continues to be encouraged for those who have not been vaccinated, and optional for those who have been vaccinated. In the event your instructor chooses to wear a mask, SAS can provide you with clear masks to provide to your instructors who chose to wear face masks. Please contact Student Accessibility Services at 515-294-7220 or e-mail Further, please note that SAS will notify instructors for students who receive accommodations such as captioned videos and captioning or interpreting services. If you did not receive those accommodations, please notify SAS so they can reach out to your instructors.


I still have a lot of questions about the impact of the virus and returning to campus.  Where can I find information? 

A variety of resources and answers to your questions may be found on the COVID-19 Moving Forward page.